Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#298167 - 08/05/2007 15:54 [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Ok, this is the new Heroes thread so we can stop using spoilers tags in the other, now way off topic, thread.

#########################################################

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

This thread discusses the TV program Heroes, including past episodes, current episodes and speculation on future plot and development.

If you are following the series but have not seen the most recent episode, note that you can and will likely find what you may consider spoilers (details you may not ant revealed prior to having them revealed within the show).

If you won't want to risk reading spoilers or don't want to read speculation and other nerdy commentary on this TV program, then please back out of this thread and do not read any further.

Re: Sylar and Hiro's recent encounter. I didn't mean to imply that Hiro brought Sylar with him into the frozen state. By whatever means, Sylar either broke the time shift completely, or first broke it only for himself (it breaking for everyone/thing else again by Sylar's will or Hiro's surprise and lapse of concentration).

Of course it's possibe none of these things are an explanation and the writers just decided to do this without concern to any "laws of hero powers"

I do recommend reading the Wiki character profiles. You can pick up a lot of background information there without having to read the online comics. I just read a few things today that my girlfriend and I had simply guessed/speculated ourselves earlier.

#298168 - 08/05/2007 16:59 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I think I agree with your assessment of what might have happened between Hiro and Sylar. It was pretty clear that Hiro didn't have the will to follow through. The more I think about the scene, the more I think you're right that Hiro lost his concentration.

#298169 - 08/05/2007 17:41 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: hybrid8]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Keep in mind the reading styles of some people here (myself included) will run into this thread without seeing the spoiler alert ahead of time, so use of the tags might still be a good idea.

#298170 - 08/05/2007 18:03 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: drakino]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Ok, I made some edits to the opening post.

If everyone keeps the word "spoilers" within the subject of their replies, any searches to the BBS bringing up posts from this thread should also be (more) easily noticed.

The whole purpose of this thread was to be able to stop using the spoilers tags which was making it difficult to read and post (not to mention quote) in the other thread.

#298171 - 09/05/2007 03:10 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: hybrid8]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Quote:
... Since he just picked up Isaac's abilities, he can now see that NY gets destroyed. He's painted himself next to Ted (mr energy) and due to his own greed up to this point, assumes it will be him who will be responsible for the explosion. Isaac also mentioned that he would be stopped/killed but didn't say how.

For Matt, you misunderstood Glenn's post. He didn't man to imply "timeline" as in the future episode we saw. He just meant that it's a possibility Sylar was conscious within Hiro's frozen instance of time (like Peter in the episode future Hiro visits him in the subway).

What I think happened is that Hiro froze everything, but that for him to be able to hack on Syler he has to unfreeze him. Except that he hesitated, giving Syler just enough time to use his various (known) powers.

A Sci-fi author can do just about anything, but he can't break the rules he has laid down for his universe. ... Syler can only have those powers he has killed for, he hasn't killed Hiro, so he can't bend time. Freezing someone by using TK shouldn't be confused with time bending.

Since paranormal powers are central to the Heroes story, yes they can introduce chars. with new stuff any time. Though this deep into the season, it seems a little strange to still be introducing new talent.

Quote:
... one of the atrociously written web comics...

The comics seem to be part of the attempt at a Multimedia experience.
I suspect that by not having read the graphic novels, in a timely fashion, I'm missing some of the plot - for sure I'm missing background info, or I'm getting it out of context. ... I wasn't ready for that.

"Atrociously" only scratches the surface. Trying to present a graphic novel on a web page without taking into consideration the limitations of that format is ridiculous. When I zoom out to see the graphic, I can't read the text. Zooming to read the text makes the graphics incomprehensible. Swapping back an forth, saps the experience. It becomes too much work. Who ever is doing the graphic art needs to be introduced to the clue bat.

#298172 - 09/05/2007 03:46 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: gbeer]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
Reading the comics online or from the PDF really does suck. I now read them in .cbr format.

Edit: Tom has asked us not to link to, uh, questionable web sites. -wfaulk

Edited by wfaulk (09/05/2007 05:01)

#298173 - 09/05/2007 13:53 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: gbeer]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Picking up Dignan's post from the other thread, but this time without spoilers...

On Mohinder:
Clearly, it would have been more rational for Mohinder to call "The Company", but then it's also reasonable to say that he was totally freaked out and didn't know what to do. If you wanted to get more technical, what are the odds that a phone connection with two wireless handsets was good enough to be able to pick up the sound of a cell phone generating touch tones? All the super-hearing in the world wouldn't help you hear a signal that wasn't there in the first place.

What really matters is that Sylar had his moment of ethical confusion, Mohinder was no help, so he reached out to (and killed) his mom, which in turn solidified his bad-guy credentials and made him think about being the President. That whole thing seemed a bit forced to me. They're trying to humanize him now? Why not earlier?

#298174 - 09/05/2007 14:42 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: DWallach]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I agree with your second paragraph. One thing I've liked about the show is that the characters aren't clear-cut good/evil. I think they attempted to humanize Sylar in his first episode, but since then he's just been a psychopath, and now they brought his mom into it all of a sudden.

#298175 - 09/05/2007 14:47 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I have a question for everyone:

WHAT IS NIKI'S POWER??

Here's what I've gotten from what they've explained about her character so far:

- she used to have a [twin?] sister, Jessica, who was sexually abused by their father
- Jessica died (as a result of the abuse?)
- at some point, Jessica became part of Niki

So my question is basically "what is the power that Niki and Jessica have?" Jessica apparently has super strength, but how does the multiple personality thing factor in? Is the whole mirror thing all in their mind, or is that part of Niki and/or Jessica's power?

Or do we just not know all there is about "them" yet?

*edit*

Remembering Bruno's comments about the Wikipedia Heroes articles (there's a lot up there), I checked her character bio out. I'm still a little confused, though. The opening to the article seems to indicate that Niki also has super strength when her personality is active. Does anyone remember when this happened? As far as I can tell, the super strength has only been apparent when Jessica is in control, which seems to be what is stated later on in the same bio in the powers section.

After thinking about this for a while, I think that understanding the Niki/Jessica character entirely depends on whether we know that the split personality is all a psychological issue, or something more. If it's the former, then I think it's pretty clear that the whole character that is Niki has super strength. If it's the latter, I'm not so sure...

Edited by Dignan (09/05/2007 15:02)

#298176 - 09/05/2007 15:34 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Dignan]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Quote:
WHAT IS NIKI'S POWER??

Looking hot as hell?

I think it's weird, too - everyone else has somewhat clearly defined powers except for her.

#298177 - 09/05/2007 16:09 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: cushman]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I think they're keeping Niki/Jessica's power deliberately vague. In particular, it's unclear whether she had the power to absorb a personality, and along with it a superpower, or whether she's just got super-strength all the time, but has the dual-personality crutch preventing it from always manifesting. In the future-show, we saw that the dual personality was gone, but we didn't learn whether the super-strength was gone as well. One can imagine that this aspect of Niki/Jessica will be a big deal at some point, if not in the season finale, then later on.

#298178 - 09/05/2007 16:16 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Greg Beeman's blog (he's a director and producer for the show) gets into the whole "humanizing Sylar" thing, which was apparently also a debate among the writers. I'll bet they had more material that had to be cut for time.

#298179 - 09/05/2007 16:53 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: DWallach]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Peter says something in the future episode to indicate that Niki still has super strength.

All the powers are genetic mutations, so Niki has hers regardless of who's personality she's manifesting. Controlling the power is another thing, and I'm sure at some point the writers will cover that and we'll see some super strength action and a lack of the Jessica personality.

Many of the charcters have gone through some type of learning curve on the show to gain control of their powers. Niki didn't know about her super strength for a long time and once she discovered what was going on, she didn't try to harness it because she associated it with the jessica personality. For the newer episode Niki's own personality has been completely locked away, so the whole thing is moot.

#298180 - 10/05/2007 11:41 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: hybrid8]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
From the other thread, it was mentioned that we learned Candice can morph the outside environment much like she can turn into other people.

I don't think that is correct. She mentioned a couple times (one in each of the last two episodes) that she can make people see things that would drive them insane. Her power is hallucinations or visions rather than morphing.

#298181 - 10/05/2007 11:49 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Tim]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

You might be right about that. I suspect that she was playing some visual tricks on Micah that merely made him run into the same room again and again. I tend to think his sense of direction wouldn't make this work, but I'm not going to think about it too much

#298182 - 10/05/2007 20:41 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Attack]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I read the comics last night. They really are terrible. Not just the writing, but the inconsistent art, too. And I don't mean each artist having a different style, I mean the one guy, Marcus To, who seems to do most of them sometimes being vaguely realistic and then the next panel it'll look like a Popeye cartoon. I only saw two artists in there that I liked at all, and them I liked quite a bit. The first is Phil Jiminez, who's been drawing actual comics for quite some time now, but he only did a single splash page. The other one I liked was Jason Badower. Tom Grummett is another established comics artist, who I usually like, but his outing was pretty bad, too.

#298183 - 11/05/2007 02:03 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I've been trying to read through them too. They're awful. They lost me right in the very first comic, where for really no reason whatsoever they showed an image of Kali ripping apart a taxi cab.

I'm struggling through them. I'm liking the short series about how Peter and Niki hooked up in the future, though.

#298184 - 11/05/2007 15:25 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

That one was not bad, but the only one that seems to give actual useful information is the 6-part "War Stories" series. And it's pretty badly written.

#298185 - 15/05/2007 11:32 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: hybrid8]
Tim
veteran

I thought the May 15 episode was really good. A question I have, could we expect DL to survive so Sylar can get his ability? I can't remember Peter meeting him, but with all of Peter's other abilities, he might be able to make up for it.

I was wondering how Micah was going to fit in to all this, never expected that he was used to rig the election. Fun stuff.

#298186 - 15/05/2007 12:09 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Tim]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

The episode was only so-so for me. It looks like they're back to the awkward pacing and direction of some of the earlier episodes. I almost want to go back and see if my least favorite episodes share some of the same writers or directors.

I don't think DL is dead yet. As far as I can tell, Hiro didn't change anything that would affect the Sanders family, so presumably they're still on track for Sylar to get that power too. Besides, Spoiler:
lbh pbhyq frr QY va gur cerivrjf sbe arkg jrrx'f rcvfbqr. Ur jnf vawherq, ohg fgvyy nyvir.

*edit* By the way, DL had plenty of time to see and react to that gun. Couldn't he have just grabbed Niki and phased them both so that the bullet would go through them? */edit*

I think the main thing I liked about this episode is that we're pretty certain that Candice doesn't actually look like Missy Peregrym, and is projecting her illusion round the clock.

Edited by Dignan (15/05/2007 12:16)

#298187 - 15/05/2007 12:14 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I wanted to bring up something that was mentioned in the other thread about Sylar and Peter.

It was suggested that no matter how many powers Sylar gained, Peter could merely stand near him and copy all of them. Now, I don't believe it's been ruled out, but so far there hasn't been anything to suggest this is the case, as far as I could tell.

When Sylar and Peter met at Mohinder's house, I would think that was plenty of time for Peter to absorb whatever abilities Sylar had, but we haven't seen him deal with super hearing, melting things, etc.

So I posit that Peter can merely absorb Sylar's original power, to intuit how things work. The only hole in that theory is that we haven't seen Peter do that either, but I think that's just due to it not being very necessary for him.

#298188 - 15/05/2007 13:07 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

We know Peter picked up Sylar's telekinesis, and that wasn't originally Sylar's power. If it truly is a passive thing, though, then Peter should have other powers stolen by Sylar (e.g., great hearing). The exact interaction between Peter's power and Sylar's stable of powers clearly has yet to be spelled out.

Meanwhile, I'm modestly annoyed about Sylar and his super-hearing as well as Peter and his mind-reading. We know that the original holders of those powers had to work for quite a while to master their powers, and the super-hearing woman required an iPod. Sylar's already jumped way past that. Likewise, Parkman took a while to figure out how to shut out all the noise from crowds. It's as if Peter and Sylar have both broadly mastered the ability to control random powers.

For the most recent episode,
Spoiler:

V nterr gung Q.Y. fubhyq unir tenoorq Avxv naq cunfrq gurz bhg, be neenatrq sbe gurz gb snyy guebhtu gur sybbe. Ba gur bgure unaq, ur'f orra fubg orsber. Ur pyrneyl unfa'g znfgrerq uvf bja cbjre lrg.

Nyfb, jvgu Grq'f novyvgl gb tb obbz, lbh'q guvax ur'q chg hc zber bs n svtug ntnvafg Flyne.

#298189 - 15/05/2007 13:53 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: DWallach]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Just to let you know, you don't need to do a spoiler tag for an episode that's been aired. That's the point of making this new thread I just used it because I was talking about the previews for next week (which I watch for Heroes but not for Lost).

As for the other stuff, I'll just go down the list:

- when did we see Peter use telekinesis?
- the woman with super hearing didn't "require an iPod" for her powers to work, which appears to be what you're implying. she used it to drown out the noise.
- I would argue that Peter and Sylar's powers inherently make them able to master other abilities much quicker than others. None of the people whom Sylar stole from had trained their abilities. Sylar tends to know how things work, and Peter through his training with Claude has gained a degree of control over whatever powers he comes into contact with. I'm sure that without that he would have hurt quite a few people when he met Ted.
- hasn't DL phased to avoid being shot before? Maybe I'm not remembering correctly.
- I agree, I'm pretty surprised that Ted didn't put up more of a fight, but I think that's why they (the writers) had Sylar crash the truck like he did. Ted was in pain and not thinking straight, and the others really should have done more to warn him about Sylar in the first place. Still, Ted had gained some mastery over his ability, so I would have liked to see a little tiff between them.

I think it was a little odd how the series left out Clea Duval's character for so many episodes in a row. She showed up for a couple minutes in this episode and she seemed more like a plot device than a character.

Edited by Dignan (15/05/2007 13:55)

#298190 - 15/05/2007 15:38 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Most notably in the 'flash forward', when he and Future-Hiro toss aside all the guards.

- the woman with super hearing didn't "require an iPod" for her powers to work, which appears to be what you're implying. she used it to drown out the noise.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Her power, at least as she dealt with it, was too sensitive and required the iPod in order to block out external stimuli and let her think. Sylar has, in effect, a more useful version of her power.

- hasn't DL phased to avoid being shot before? Maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

Not sure, but he did get shot by Niki/Jessica at one point.

#298191 - 15/05/2007 15:58 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: DWallach]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I guess I just don't count that future as evidence of that happening. I'd say it's more likely that he gained it from someone else. We still don't know if multiple people can have the same power, which would seem likely. I would think that if Peter got his telekinesis from Sylar after that meeting, he would have used it by now...

I tell you, though. If that future episode was evidence of how many people would gain powers, it must be really tough for Peter. I'd imagine that he would just walk a few blocks down the street and pick up a couple powers right there, not even knowing what they are

#298192 - 15/05/2007 16:09 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

If Peter really wanted to go power-collecting, he should start frequenting shopping malls, sports events, anything with large crowds. Of course, if you follow that chain of logic, you quickly start bumping into the limits of our suspension of disbelief about how these powers actually work...

#298193 - 15/05/2007 17:54 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: DWallach]
rubennyc

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Peter used telekenesis in his last run-in with Sylar at Mohinder's apartment to throw Sylar across the room slamming him into the opposite wall.

#298194 - 15/05/2007 17:59 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: rubennyc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Peter used telekenesis in his last run-in with Sylar at Mohinder's apartment to throw Sylar across the room slamming him into the opposite wall.

Good call! You must love that, Dan. He used it instantly

So I guess he can get Sylar's obtained powers. Good thing he hasn't melted anyone yet.

#298195 - 15/05/2007 19:01 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Dignan]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
Quote:
So I guess he can get Sylar's obtained powers. Good thing he hasn't melted anyone yet.

I think Peter can only acquire the active power from Sylar when in proximity. Remember Mohinder was on the roof when Peter came in.

#298196 - 15/05/2007 20:54 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Attack]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Peter was able to absorb Ted's explosive abilities even when Ted had everything turned off, so it's at least somewhat unclear the extent to which Peter can reach out and copy somebody else.

(Also, Peter may have come close enough to Sylar when he saved the cheerleader to absorb the telekinesis at that time.)

#298197 - 15/05/2007 21:44 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Peter should have all of Sylar's powers. His power absorption is totally passive and he's used the telekenesis a few times: on the roof to stop Claude's attack while traiining as well as to stop the taser prongs from HRG (coincidentally also on the roof). He obtained Sylar's powers (for the first time) when they fought at Claire's school. He also instantly grabbed Claire's powers when he first met her in the hall - he had no idea what her power was nor that he had absorbed it until after he fell off the wall and suffered what should have been a fatal landing.

I'd have to watch the scene again, but DL looked shot. I'm pretty sure he was bleeding. He should be able to drop the bullet out of his body of course, but I don't know about the healing. He should have had Linderman heal him before killing him.

Keep in mind that some portions of the "Next on Heroes..." may include clips of the current episode. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen this.

But I'm glad you guys noticed the apparent plot hole. If DL dies that means Sylar can't get his power. But currently the present developments are all falling in line with the history explained in the future episode - down to Ando following what's written in the comic. He's supposed to die attacking Sylar and he knows it.

I loved the scenes with George Takai. I was wondering if they'd bring him back in this season. One can assume that while he was once part of the organization, Linderman lost his way since then. Though I'm sure Linderman's vision for the future is not what we saw in the future episode. He's dead in that future and Sylar is posing as Nathan, so we can expect it's a complete 180 from what Linderman (and Mrs. Petrelli) have in mind.

With regards to pacing of the May 15th episode, I can't complain. Felt right to me. Now if you want bad pacing and the worst episode yet of the season, you need look no further than 24. Uuuugh. 1 episode left of each - next Monday.

#298198 - 15/05/2007 22:55 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Dignan]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I think the main thing I liked about this episode is that we're pretty certain that Candice doesn't actually look like Missy Peregrym, and is projecting her illusion round the clock.

Cough, or not even female? Evil Laugh!

#298199 - 15/05/2007 23:12 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Dignan]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Quote:
As for the other stuff, I'll just go down the list:

During his first fight with Syler?
Quote:
- hasn't DL phased to avoid being shot before?
He couldn't, both phase, and take the shot meant for Niki. It was my impression that he just didn't have time to reach her and phase.

#298200 - 15/05/2007 23:32 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: hybrid8]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Peter should have all of Syler's powers.

Maybe. Or would Peter only get Syler's original gift.

Would Peter know he has absorbed a gift. His gift works by recalling how he felt when he met another gifted person. Cluelessness is a condition that is rampant in the show. Almost a basic plot element.

#298201 - 16/05/2007 01:00 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: DWallach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Also, with Ted's ability to go boom, you'd think he'd put up more of a fight against Sylar.

Ted was very concerned eariler with not harming others again, saying things like "put me in a lead-lined cell" to Clea Duvall, so he's probably quite reticent to use his powers. Also, he didn't know who Sylar was, which means he doesn't know what he looks like. It's easily possible that he didn't realize that it was Sylar until his head was half open.

#298202 - 16/05/2007 01:03 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

In the other thread, I think, someone said something about Claire's power being foiled when the thing that kills them remains in them, which is certainly what I thought, too. However, Peter seems to believe that it has specifically to do with that area in the back of the head where his glass shard and Claire's stick were embedded, not just anywhere. I don't know if that's a plot point or not, but it might be.

#298203 - 16/05/2007 02:26 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I think that's what the person in the other thread meant. The only thing that confuses me is that they realize that the back of the neck seems to be their weakness, but wouldn't a bullet merely go through that region? It probably wouldn't lodge there, so the gun wouldn't do anything (other than hurt a hell of a lot).

I've been wondering if there really actually is a way to kill Claire. It seems that she can only be put down temporarily. Maybe if she were decapitated...

#298204 - 16/05/2007 02:32 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Keep in mind that some portions of the "Next on Heroes..." may include clips of the current episode. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen this.

I know what you mean, but it was pretty easy to see that DL and Niki were in Molly's room.

I agree with your other analysis. Sorry, everyone, for missing the several times Peter has used his telekinesis I still wonder why he doesn't appear to have super hearing. And I still think that the whole melting thing would be an especially dangerous ability to not realize you have

Edited by Dignan (16/05/2007 02:33)

#298205 - 16/05/2007 11:22 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Dignan]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
An unrelated question...Do we know where Sylar got his ability to freeze things? For some reason, I don't remember us seeing him steal that from anyone, but it's appeared in a couple different episodes now, most recently when he broke Hiro's sword.

That's probably my only pet peave, when Sylar or Peter have powers apparently appear out of nowhere and we have no indication of how they gained them. That said, I may just not be recalling where he got that.

#298206 - 16/05/2007 11:50 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: DWallach]
Tim
veteran

Quote:
Meanwhile, I'm modestly annoyed about Sylar and his super-hearing as well as Peter and his mind-reading. We know that the original holders of those powers had to work for quite a while to master their powers, and the super-hearing woman required an iPod. Sylar's already jumped way past that. Likewise, Parkman took a while to figure out how to shut out all the noise from crowds. It's as if Peter and Sylar have both broadly mastered the ability to control random powers.

Remember that waitress in Odessa? The first time we saw Sylar, though not his face? The waitress he killed had the ability to learn or memorize very quickly. That could explain how he knows how to use everything.

It did take him a bit to get use to the super-hearing, though. Remember the day after he killed the mechanic? He was having all kinds of issues in the car.

#298207 - 16/05/2007 11:55 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: JBjorgen]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
An unrelated question...Do we know where Sylar got his ability to freeze things? For some reason, I don't remember us seeing him steal that from anyone, but it's appeared in a couple different episodes now, most recently when he broke Hiro's sword.

That's probably my only pet peave, when Sylar or Peter have powers apparently appear out of nowhere and we have no indication of how they gained them. That said, I may just not be recalling where he got that.

Yeah, that's what I was saying in the other thread. I think someone mentioned how he might have gotten it, though...

#298208 - 16/05/2007 12:02 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: JBjorgen]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Sylar first uses the freezing power in the online comic - to freeze a road, wiping out a few cop cars. I can't remember if he also got the power in that same comic (from the truck driver who's truck he stole).

He definitely does not have the ability to tell or "see" that someone has a power - someone has to tell or show him. That's why he wanted Suresh's list so badly. Also how he killed Claire's friend thinking it was her. He's probably a great cheerleader now though.

The writers *should* have done something similar to Sylar's super-hearing headache with Peter, but they didn't. They're not perfect and sometimes small details slip through. But I'm fairly certain that doesn't mean he doesn't have the power (and the others Sylar has).

The ability to break down and liquify matter, like the telekenesis, isn't something passive, so I suspect he'd have to try to use it before it could be used. Not knowing the power is there is obviously a bit of a hinderance...

BTW, I'm writing in this pseudo-reality way because it's simply easier to do so (not having to write the word "character all the time, etc), not because I'm so wrapped up in the show I have a hard time distinguishing TV from real life.

#298209 - 16/05/2007 14:02 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
He's probably a great cheerleader now though.

Hahaha!

Yeah, I just got finished reading all the web comics. They really are pretty bad, though I think they improved (to merely bad, starting from awful). Bitt was right, though - if anyone here is into Heroes you should check out the "War Buddies" series. It's the only one that really adds to the show, as you get some much needed source of one of the characters motivations/backstory.

Bruno - yes, Sylar first used freezing in his first comic, but he didn't get anything from the truck driver. Actually, I think he says that the man has no abilities. Plus he kills him with flying broken beer bottles, so...

Oh, and earlier on the pacing stuff, I guess I meant the pacing of individual scenes. The episode flowed fine, but sometimes characters' lines felt rushed. Maybe it's a problem of trying to fit so many characters/plotlines in an hour.

#298210 - 16/05/2007 15:12 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Bitt was right, though - if anyone here is into Heroes you should check out the "War Buddies" series. It's the only one that really adds to the show, as you get some much needed source of one of the characters motivations/backstory.

To be clear, the "War Buddies" comic is just as terrible as the rest, but there is actual plot in it that is relevant to the TV show's storyline, and which was touched on in the May 14th episode.

#298211 - 16/05/2007 19:32 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

For discussion:

What do you guys think the symbol is? *edit* The "Helix" */edit*

It keeps popping up, most notably as a tattoo on Jessica's shoulder (but not Niki, I believe). It was also recently used as a symbol for the sword repair business where Hiro was trained, and in the latest web comic as a ring that Hana was wearing. These are just three of a variety of locations its showed up.

I'm not sure what to make of it.

#298212 - 16/05/2007 19:43 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

It's clearly designed to look like a strand of RNA. I don't have any impression that it's anything more than a symbol, although it did show up in the Sureshes' displays of genetic data, a la the Matrix. But it's shown up intentionally throughout history, at least as far back as Hiro's sword (although katana hilts are not integral to the sword and are commonly replaced without any concern over the integrity of the sword, which is something that bothered me about the sword repairman scene).

#298213 - 16/05/2007 20:57 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

It seems so specific that it must mean something. If they never explain it I think that'll be very odd.

#298214 - 16/05/2007 22:41 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Dignan]
treize
new poster

Loc: California
Quote:
I have a question for everyone:

WHAT IS NIKI'S POWER??

Here's what I've gotten from what they've explained about her character so far:

- she used to have a [twin?] sister, Jessica, who was sexually abused by their father
- Jessica died (as a result of the abuse?)
- at some point, Jessica became part of Niki

So my question is basically "what is the power that Niki and Jessica have?" Jessica apparently has super strength, but how does the multiple personality thing factor in? Is the whole mirror thing all in their mind, or is that part of Niki and/or Jessica's power?

Or do we just not know all there is about "them" yet?

*edit*

Remembering Bruno's comments about the Wikipedia Heroes articles (there's a lot up there), I checked her character bio out. I'm still a little confused, though. The opening to the article seems to indicate that Niki also has super strength when her personality is active. Does anyone remember when this happened? As far as I can tell, the super strength has only been apparent when Jessica is in control, which seems to be what is stated later on in the same bio in the powers section.

After thinking about this for a while, I think that understanding the Niki/Jessica character entirely depends on whether we know that the split personality is all a psychological issue, or something more. If it's the former, then I think it's pretty clear that the whole character that is Niki has super strength. If it's the latter, I'm not so sure...

I seem to remember a scene where Nikki was being restrained by security, while in the psychiatric ward, and one of the guards swung his club at her. She caught the club and snapped it in half, looking shocked after she realized what she had just done.

#298215 - 22/05/2007 00:49 Re: [spoilers] Heroes on TitanTV [/spoilers] [Re: hybrid8]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

The best Sci-fi is the kind where the Sci-fi aspects arn't the story.

TitanTV and other guide listings for all I know, have Heroes flagged as Action/Drama.

#298216 - 22/05/2007 01:26 Re: [spoilers] Heroes on TitanTV [/spoilers] [Re: gbeer]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
The best Sci-fi is the kind where the Sci-fi aspects arn't the story.

TitanTV and other guide listings for all I know, have Heroes flagged as Action/Drama.

I really don't consider Heroes to be Sci-Fi at all.

#298217 - 22/05/2007 01:43 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

"How Do you Stop an Exploding Man?"

Apparently you don't! You fly him off (more on that later).

The finale was pretty good, but I have some criticisms. I'm sure that if Parkman could talk at the end, he'd say "yeah, thanks kid, I'm your hero. mind if the paramedics take me to the hospital so they can fish the 5 bullets out of me?" I also thought it was odd how Claire seems to have no concern for Peter and just leaves. I'm assuming that he survives, but she isn't, even though her father and grandmother seemed to have confidence that he would.

I guess Sylar knew that he had to get stabbed, because there was nothing stealthy about how Hiro went about it. Sylar could have easily stopped him. I'm a little disappointed they didn't wrap his storyline up. I was also pretty disappointed that there wasn't more of a showdown between Peter and Sylar. Peter didn't even appear to use a single previous power on him. In fact, the only thing Peter seemed to use on Sylar was Niki's strength, which he appeared to gain that moment.

Some other interesting things:

I don't know why this hasn't come up in our discussions, but ever since it was indicated that Peter was the bomb I've been wondering why, when he knows he'll go off, he doesn't just fly away somewhere. Well, now it certainly seems that at the moment, he can only use one power at a time. Or perhaps he hasn't trained himself enough yet.

Either Candice was lying to mess with Micah's head, or she's kept up her standard illusion so long it's ingrained in her. When Niki knocked her out, I was excited to see her turn into some fat guy. Nope, just Missy (not that I'm complaining about seeing Missy again).

I guess they're setting up next season's "big bad" with all of Molly's talk about the one person she's scared of finding. But that makes me wonder - how did she know to look for him in the first place? Does the company know about a super evil baddie?

That's all I can think of to talk about for now. Must sleep. I had to post and get all my thoughts out before I forgot them I'm sure I forgot something though.

#298218 - 22/05/2007 01:51 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Oh, one more thing:

I liked how Future Hiro's prophecy came true, just not how he thought. Peter saved the cheerleader, and I think it was Claire who made Nathan do what he did. However, this raises questions about the future episode. Claire survived in that future, which means she was there to sway her father to do the right thing, which I think is what stopped the disaster.

It doesn't seem that Present Hiro brought anything back from the future that prevented the disaster, unless it was truly Sylar that was supposed to be the bomb. Can anyone pinpoint what Present Hiro did to change things?

#298219 - 22/05/2007 04:21 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Dignan]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Of course it's Sci-fi. The good old rousing space opera isn't the whole of Sci-fi. But I will admit this could be a bit like trying to define what genre a particular song should be tagged as. It's defiantly action/melodrama. It's most likely good that NBC isn't labeling it as Sci-fi, as that would most likely have stopped some viewers from tuning in.

Quote:
It doesn't seem that Present Hiro brought anything back from the future that prevented the disaster, unless it was truly Sylar that was supposed to be the bomb. Can anyone pinpoint what Present Hiro did to change things?

Old Hero did the kill your father thing by influencing the past, influencing Peter, Ando, and Young Hiro. It's a time paradox, or not, the Many Worlds theory of time was proposed to cover that kind of thing. So what young Hiro brought back was a changed mindset. He doesn't become General Nakamura.

It doesn't seem anyone necessarily got dead. Peter should heal. Nathan could drop Peter and fly away before the detonation. And Syler seems to have crawled off into the sewer.

That Peter hasn't used more than one power at a time is odd.

George Taki would seem to be both Immortal, or at least long lived, and Kensai the great Samurai. (look closely at the eyes of the last Samurai shown)

And finally, I want to know what Hiro's cuss word was. edit: subtitle was @#$%!

Edited by gbeer (22/05/2007 04:26)

#298220 - 22/05/2007 07:15 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Dignan]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:

Either Candice was lying to mess with Micah's head, or she's kept up her standard illusion so long it's ingrained in her. When Niki knocked her out, I was excited to see her turn into some fat guy. Nope, just Missy (not that I'm complaining about seeing Missy again).

or she knew Niki had her beat, pretended to be knocked out and switched illusions ?

#298221 - 22/05/2007 11:15 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: gbeer]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Old Hero did the kill your father thing by influencing the past, influencing Peter, Ando, and Young Hiro. It's a time paradox, or not, the Many Worlds theory of time was proposed to cover that kind of thing. So what young Hiro brought back was a changed mindset. He doesn't become General Nakamura.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're saying.

I think you're misunderstanding me as well. I already said that Future Hiro changed the past by telling Peter to save the cheerleader. That act lead to Claire living to meet her father, Nathan, and getting him to stop the bomb from happening, although presumably that would have happened in the future episode as well, so there's paradox #1. That action of relaying the message to Peter on the subway is independent of what happens in the future episode. It's implied that, as of that episode, the disaster still occurs, so the only people who know it does are Hiro and Ando, but I don't see what they did to keep it from happening, unless it was really Sylar that exploded, which still wouldn't make sense because he wouldn't have survived it to take over the Presidency.

The other thing that bothers me is that it wasn't explained why Peter blew up. He was able to control it earlier, but not later? That seems odd. Was Sylar causing him to overload or something?

#298222 - 22/05/2007 11:16 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

#298223 - 22/05/2007 21:30 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Oh, one more thing about that episode: the revelation (which we already suspected) that Niki and DL were carefully arranged. This implies a great deal. That "the company" either knows how to place people with abilities together to create certain abilities, or they had some way of seeing the future and knowing that Micah would be the result. Any thoughts?

#298224 - 23/05/2007 10:29 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
That act lead to Claire living to meet her father, Nathan, and getting him to stop the bomb from happening, although presumably that would have happened in the future episode as well, so there's paradox #1.

In the Days of Future Past episode, Mr. Bennett says that she was in hiding and that people didn't know she was alive. It's possible that he put her in hiding immediately after she was "killed" in that timeline.

#298225 - 23/05/2007 10:49 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
The finale was pretty good

I completely disagree. The ending was totally lame. They could still redeem it in future episodes by making it be a false ending. That is, they blow up New York sometime in the future. But the entire thing that they've been leading up to did not occur, nor was it interestingly resolved.

I don't buy that Peter needed Nathan to fly him away at all. If it is the case that he can only use one power at once, that was never implied at any other point. And I'm not saying that they had to spell it out for us, but there has to be some implication. Given, as far as I can recall, Peter's never used two powers at once, but it's not like he's been in a situation where two powers at the same time would have been useful. Also, if he was too weak to use them, which I could buy, it would have been nice to see him at least try. Hell, that would have been a reasonable demonstration of the lack of simultaneous powers, too.

I found it odd that Peter's earlier vision of himself exploding didn't match the actual event much at all, but I suppose you can chalk that up to his visions being impressionistic. Still, it would have been nice to have seen that demonstrated, too.

As it stands right now, it does seem that the future episode has been made irrelevant. The only important thing is that Hiro went back in time to tell Peter what to do. But the whole point of us seeing the future was rendered moot. Again, at least apparently, from our current viewpoint. It would be far more interesting to have those actions in that episode be meaningful, and I'm not convinced they won't be, but this episode left me cold.

Ando's character needed far more of a conclusion. I suppose it's possible that we'll get back to him, but somehow I doubt it.

Richard Roundtree being part of the Linderman/Petrelli cabal is an interesting revelation. I always thought it was odd that they used him for such a small role. I wonder what his power will turn out to be. Do you think that Peter instinctively used Hiro's power to transport himself back in time? (Peter still seemed to physically exist in NY, though, so probably not.) Or was it a vision? Or is communicating with the future Richard Roundtree's power?

Anyway, I'm not irritated with the show enough to stop watching it, but I do think the finale was seriously lame. I wouldn't be surprised if next season fails to premiere to good ratings.

#298226 - 23/05/2007 11:18 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:

Agreed. Also lame. Though I can understand why they did it that way from a TV point of view. All the people not paying attention would have said to themselves "Who the hell is that?" when they turned her into an unconscious fat chick. Of course, the correct conclusion to that fight, then, would not be knocking her unconscious. After Niki won the fight and revealed Missy, she could have either then knocked her unconscious, revealing her true identity for a joke, or not.

#298227 - 23/05/2007 14:16 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I guess I have to agree with you, Bitt. I was being kind, and hoping I could fool myself into liking the episode, but you're basically expressing all the things that left me unsatisfied. None of the events surrounding the finale made sense given what came before. And you're right, I think the future episode is moot at this point, which is a terrible shame because that one episode gave me such faith in the show, and prompted me to start discussing it like crazy here.

As for this:
Quote:
In the Days of Future Past episode, Mr. Bennett says that she was in hiding and that people didn't know she was alive. It's possible that he put her in hiding immediately after she was "killed" in that timeline.

That makes sense, but if that's the case, I don't see any indication that Hiro changed this outcome either. That's what bothers me the most. Hiro should be the sole cause of avoiding the disaster, but only using whatever actions he took following the "future episode." As far as I could see, he had no meaningful interactions with any of the characters at all, let alone something that would affect the outcome.

The more I think about the episode, the more of a mess it becomes. People worry that the writers for Lost don't know where the overall story is going. The writers for Heroes apparently fly by the seat of their pants from episode to episode, lucking out when continuity shows its self.

#298228 - 23/05/2007 15:34 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Well, they kind of implied that Nathan meeting Claire was what made him try to stop the bomb. In the future episode, Claire hadn't met Nathan when she met Sylar masquerading as President Nathan. (Of course, that means that my whole notion that the future episode is not an alternate timeline is wrong, as she clearly has met him.) And having Peter save the cheerleader indirectly leads to Nathan meeting Claire.

Of course, what you may be saying is that Hiro visited the future, leaving after Claire had been saved, and arriving after future-Hiro had already visited Peter in the "past". So what actions were taken between the time that Hiro arrived back in our time and the last episode that changed the future. If nothing, and I agree that there doesn't seem to be anything, then that means that Hiro visited a future that had branched off before he left, effectively portaging to a different time stream. So can Hiro visit alternate timelines?

I suppose the one thing you might be able to claim is that Hiro brought Sylar down long enough for Peter to escape with Nathan. Of course, future-Hiro stabbed him, too. And we know he didn't have Claire's healing power to save him.

Hmm. Assuming that future-Hiro did stab him in the same way at the same time, he would have known that it was Peter that was about to explode and that making sure that Sylar was dead would have made no difference. He was incapacitated enough that he couldn't have made a difference in those few minutes anyway. So there may be another bomb event that future-Hiro was trying to prevent. This actually is starting to point to the fact that this might have been a false ending.

#298229 - 23/05/2007 17:04 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Yes, what you said was what I was trying to say poorly

Quote:
This actually is starting to point to the fact that this might have been a false ending.

In the future, didn't they say the bomb happened the day after the election? The finale ended the night after the election. Unless it happened in the next 20 minutes, it seems there's a discrepancy.

And is it just me, or did it feel odd that there were apparently no people on the streets of NYC at night? Have they been to NYC?

Oh, and as for the thing with Richard Roundtree, I definitely think that's his power, not Peter's. Nobody else noticed Peter, which could mean he was invisible but they didn't show that and I think Peter said something when Simone and Past Peter were in that greenhouse. I did think that scene was pretty cool, though. I liked that Peter's mother was wrong about him. I still really want to know what her power is, though. I'm convinced she has one.

So does anyone have a theory yet as to WHY Peter exploded? Am I the only one who doesn't think that was clear? Where's Hugo? Maybe we're just waiting for people to get caught up with their Tivos

#298230 - 23/05/2007 17:09 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I still really want to know what her power is, though.

I'm still convinced that it's the ability to have visions of the future. Why else would Peter have had that ability?

#298231 - 23/05/2007 17:16 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
I still really want to know what her power is, though.

I'm still convinced that it's the ability to have visions of the future. Why else would Peter have had that ability?

Interesting. The writers seem to have wanted to avoid giving the same power to multiple people, at least ones that are so similar, but perhaps since Isaac is dead and we don't know for sure if she has that power, they feel it doesn't overlap too much. She certainly was at Peter's bedside a lot around the time it happened. It also explains her insistence that the bomb would occur.

At the very most, I would guess she has dreams similar to the ones Peter had. I always thought his dream was more impressionistic than completely accurate. It certainly had that look and feel to it. Plus Claude was nowhere to be seen in the finale.

#298232 - 23/05/2007 17:57 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
The writers seem to have wanted to avoid giving the same power to multiple people, at least ones that are so similar

I disagree. There seem to be a lot of specifically intended twin powers. Silar/Peter. Micah/Wireless(Hana). Claire/Linderman. Claire's mom/Ted.

#298233 - 23/05/2007 18:45 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
The writers seem to have wanted to avoid giving the same power to multiple people, at least ones that are so similar

I disagree. There seem to be a lot of specifically intended twin powers. Silar/Peter. Micah/Wireless(Hana). Claire/Linderman. Claire's mom/Ted.

I know what you mean, and I agree. I just felt those two would be a little different. Plus, I see the characters in those pairings as being similar types of characters, whereas Isaac and Mrs. Petrelli don't have a lot in common on any level.

I must have missed something, though. Claire's mom?

#298234 - 23/05/2007 19:22 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Dignan]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
That is one thing I have wondered. Linderman said he was responsible for Niki & DL getting together. Perhaps Nathan's mom is somehow responsible for Nathan getting together with Claire's mom, even if for a short time, so that Claire would be born. We do know that the Petrelli's mother and Linderman were working together.

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#298235 - 23/05/2007 19:33 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:

Claire's birth mom with the pyrokinesis.

#298236 - 23/05/2007 21:11 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:

D'oh! I forgot about that. She was barely on the show.

#298237 - 24/05/2007 00:18 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: wfaulk]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Quote:

Yay, Bitt! First time in a while someone has used a word never before seen on this bbs.

It would be interesting to see a list of the top 10 posters who have been the first to use a word. Have to disallow any posts made in the first couple of weeks, since whoever made the very first post would get credit for each and every unique word in the post. I've no idea how to do such a thing, though...

I think Rob Schofield should get extra credit for first using the word "hygroscopic" nearly seven years ago.

tanstaafl.

#298238 - 25/05/2007 02:09 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: tanstaafl.]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Sorry it took me so long to join in. It's been a busy week. Let's see...

We got a couple heaping gobs of foreshadowing for next season, starting with Hiro's trip back in time to see the Japanese warlord who originally wielded his cool sword. Unclear what his power is, but "inducing eclipses" seems pretty weak as a power for a badass warlord. This trip is clearly a big part of Hiro learning to become hardcore with his sword. Meanwhile, in the future, the "tracking system" girl clued us into next season's presumed bad-guy, even worse than Sylar: "he sees me when I look for him." Also, we have the bloody trail of what looks like the body of Sylar being dragged into a manhole cover. By whom? Dunno. Finally, we're left with a stack of "so, did he die or not?" questions: D.L., Parkman, and Nathan. Sylar is presumably very, very dead. Quoth Beeman's Blog: "Some of the characters you have come to know and love, in fact, DID die last night."

Presumably, another big theme of the next season will be telling us the story of the previous generation of heroes, including Linderman, Momma Petrelli, and so on. This will also presumably include the as-yet unseen big creepy dude.

Nitpicking:

Forget about Peter being lame and unable to control himself. He's always lame. Sylar was the really lame guy. The only power he used in the grand finale was his telekinesis. He's collected powers all damn season. He can melt metal to slag (e.g., Hiro's blade). He can freeze things. He didn't do any of that, even though he knew where he was going and that it was the climactic moment.

#298239 - 25/05/2007 19:44 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: DWallach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Also, we have the bloody trail of what looks like the body of Sylar being dragged into a manhole cover. By whom?

Maybe it's just me, but I got the impression that he dragged himself, not that someone dragged him. I could be wrong, though.

#298240 - 25/05/2007 19:59 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: wfaulk]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
Also, we have the bloody trail of what looks like the body of Sylar being dragged into a manhole cover. By whom?

Maybe it's just me, but I got the impression that he dragged himself, not that someone dragged him. I could be wrong, though.

Mine too, but, "Who dragged the body away?" is equally unpresumptious.

#298241 - 29/05/2007 12:56 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: DWallach]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I don't think I have much new to add to what's already been mentioned about the finale. I have some of the same questions and concerns in fact.

Sylar broke Hiro's sword by freezing it, not melting it. If I had his powers, I'd probably use the telekenesis most often as well. You don't have to be in physical contact with something to use it and it works in any direction without tying up your own body/hands. What one might wonder is why Sylar has never used that power to fly or at least levitate.

From earlier interviews and quotes from producers, I would assume the Sylar storyline is pretty much done along with the whole New York meltdown arc. I haven't read the recent stuff to to find out if my expectations should change.

My biggest disappointment with the finale was a lack of action sequences. I recognise the show is primarily character driven like the movie Unbreakable, but I was hoping for a little more punch in the last episode.

Backtracking... The reason for the future in the future episode was because Hiro had teleported to the future and had not been around to do what he was supposed to do in the past. Of course, as people have brought up, much of what happened in the past did so without his influence. Enough of which you would think would have prevented the future from turning out precisely as it did in that episiode. The Hiro of the future who first visited Peter in the subway was unable to kill Sylar because Sylar had killed and obtained Claire's powers in that timeline.

I'm assuming the writers intended Peter to be undergoing some uncontrolled meltdown at the end of the finale and could not weild any power at all. It was somewhat obvious he was in distress, but they could have made it more obvious that he was trying to do something other than bring Ted's nuclear ability under control.

Now, any bets on how close Peter has to be to someone to absorb their powers? Does he now have Hiro, Molly, Micah and DL's powers? I'm guessing no, at least for the last three.

#298242 - 29/05/2007 14:20 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Now, any bets on how close Peter has to be to someone to absorb their powers? Does he now have Hiro, Molly, Micah and DL's powers? I'm guessing no, at least for the last three.

I was wondering the same thing!

From what I've gathered, many people have been let down by the finale. Here's hoping the next season helps to put it in context.

Quote:
From earlier interviews and quotes from producers, I would assume the Sylar storyline is pretty much done along with the whole New York meltdown arc. I haven't read the recent stuff to to find out if my expectations should change.

If that's the case, then the cliched "the bad guy survives" moment of the finale is even more lame.

#298243 - 29/05/2007 14:57 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I read that the actor portraying Sylar is signed up to be a regular for the next season, so I doubt that the Sylar storyline is done.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >